Monday, May 28, 2012

A Fun and Friendly Community

By Jenny (Kesho Leo Education Volunteer)

I have been to Africa three times before, and came back for the wonderful sense of community and the fun times that I have found before. Arusha and the local foodwatershelter community have not let me down.

At school, both in the morning with the Chekechea and Pre-Primary classes and in the afternoon with the Tuition classes, I regularly find myself smiling or laughing with the students and the teachers. Sometimes it is a happy smile, after children have answered a question they have been asked, or done some work that I have been helping with, or just simply showing me their work. Sometimes it is the teacher’s humour at the response from the students doing their work, often trying so very hard, and coming up with an answer that is “beautiful” although incorrect. It is so rewarding watching the teachers with the children, and getting a buzz from hearing them laughing with the children and showing in so many ways that they care about them. It is not unexpected to see the teachers sweep up a child in their arms and give them a big hug, sometimes congratulating them, sometimes comforting them, and sometimes because the child has made a mistake and is confused or embarrassed. 

Regina (Kesho Leo Education Manager) congratulating the Champion Pre-Primary Student
at the Kesho Leo-Engosengiu 2012 Mini Olympics
Lucy, Kesho Leo Chekechea Teacher (far right) and Engosengiu Primary School Teacher (far left) congratulating the students after finishing the Chekechea Champion Relay Race at the 2012 Mini Olympics.

Beyond job satisfaction, there are many other places that I have found my fun. I came here hoping to find other volunteers who like playing cards, and couldn’t believe it when the first group of vols didn’t seem very interested. I was very disappointed, until a few months after I arrived I discovered that the night Askari (security guards) play cards. Once I realised they enjoyed cards, it didn’t take me long to invite myself to their game. It has been entertaining and interesting. I have shared some games I know, and they have shared games they know. The last game they have shown me is a Maasai game, and it really ‘takes the cake’. In every card game I have ever played, you may not show your partner your hand, even though in some games like Bridge, the bidding can give a pretty good indication what is in your hand. In this game, when you play with a partner, it is best to show your partner, but not your opponents, your cards so that you can work out your strategy to win the most cards. And believe me, there is real strategy to this game. I still haven’t got it yet, as I have lost a fair few more than I have won. 

From the left: Midmi, Husseini, Jenny and Toshi, play a round of cards.

Keeping the game equipment in order also proved to be an event in itself. Although we can play without a bench, the makeshift table, a shallow plastic crate on a bucket, was not the most stable. So I asked the Askari to see if they could repair the broken bench. We lacked a few basic requirements, like a hammer, good quality wood, and eventually light as we had a power out while the job was half done. They managed to fix it with the back of a small axe, scavenged wood from some other broken benches and light from my mobile phone, with a result while not the most elegant, is a stable bench that is often used for cards in the night. Added to their company and card playing, the Askari are very generous and are always offering to share their meal with me. I finally accepted, and just recently we shared a delicious dinner of local smoked fish, cooked to perfection by Husseini, one of the Askari, and I cooked the rice – I just can’t eat ugali. If you ask the Askari why, they will laugh, as I tell them that if they were to throw it on the ground, it would bounce, and I can’t eat food that bounces. They know I am joking and that it is just me being fussy again. 

The games bench...
Last of all I have had some dancing. I love to dance and do many different styles of dance back home in Australia. Only a few days after I arrived in October, one of our Askari had his wedding, and we attended. We went to the reception ceremony at his home. After that amazing experience came the music and of course, for me, that meant dancing. I had a great time, and danced both in and out of the covered area. Later, as I got to know the mamas, I shared my enthusiasm for dance with them, and they responded with similar enthusiasm. So came about our first dance at Kesho Leo last year. It was a few weeks before Christmas, and all fws employees and their families were invited. Simon (aka P.Diddy and day-time Askari), was our awesome DJ for the night. Unfortunately, he had to swap his rostered day and was working on the day of the dance, so we didn’t have his expertise and equipment (borrowed from a friend) at the start of the dance. I had gathered music from different sources, endeavouring to provide music for all who came. The night (6.30pm) started slowly, but when Simon came and the volume increased, things got moving. It was a fun night with one or two stand out dancers from Kesho Leo. We had our second dance night at the end of March and this time Simon was there from the start. Again, we had a great night and it got pumping much earlier with P.Diddy doing his thing. 

The Kesho Leo girls show off their dance moves.

Jenny gets into the groove!

The Kesho Leo residents enjoying the disco night.
As well as the dance nights, and the functions that I have been to and danced at, a family celebration for the new baby, two graduations, and another wedding, there is a group of children who sing to me when I pass them on my way to Kesho Leo. They once saw me dancing at some of the local celebrations and now every time they see me they come out to the road and sing and do a few dance steps eagerly waiting for me to join in. Anyone walking with me to Kesho Leo will meet them and hear their “Kiduku” song. What more can a person ask for? … What a fun and friendly community here in Sinoni Village, Arusha, Tanzania!

No comments: