Thursday, January 27, 2011

1, 2, 5, 10, 25… 37 enrolments at Kesho Leo Chekechea and Preprimary! (and still counting…).

“Elephant elephant elephant!”, “Yes Yes Yes!”, “Come to the river”, “NO NO NO!”, “Why why why?”.. “Because I’m too fat… Because I’m too fat!”. If you can hear this singing from a children’s village just outside of Arusha, Tanzania, then you must have found Kesho Leo. Classes kicked off two weeks ago and have been non-stop since. What was looking like quite a small number of students for 2011 have gradually crept up until last count got us to 37 beautiful little faces! The first day had chekechea and pre-primary children decked out in bright red jumpers and gorgeous big smiles. Not a bad introduction to Kesho Leo Education Manager for 2011.


Teacher over here is "mwalimu" – it’s the one word
etched into my brain forever, because it isn’t just the Kesho Leo kids but apparently every child who goes to a school around here who wants to call out and talk to you. It’s a really welcoming feeling – and it’s never just a hello – it’s “Good morning” “How are you?” and often involves children taking my hand and walking me to and from Kesho Leo. The first few weeks has seen a group of chekechea and a group of preprimary children eagerly wanting to learn – these kids range from three to six years old and already a few have had tears when they didn’t understand something and asked their teacher to show them how it is done. Talk about motivated. The language barrier is easy with kids – smiles go a long way - and I’m learning the basics through their story time, alphabet songs and number counting . I’m pretty much one of the chekechea kids when it comes to Swahili – but I’m getting there pole-pole (slowly). Totally opposite are these fast moving chekechea and preprimary kids - they have already made leaps and bounds much to the excitement of the two Tanzanian teachers I’m working with – Regina and Lucy. "Carmod, Carmod - eight of them can now write their name!!" Regina told me excitedly one morning.


It's rewarding for everyone involved. Plus, these girls know their stuff. They want to try new ideas and activities and I can see that this year I’ll become quite close with them. I have already developed a great deal respect for them and really enjoy working with them to try new teaching techniques and activities. Luckily I’ve had the 2010 Education Manager not far away for the initial week to hold my hand as well as one of our lovely Askari - Simon (security guard) to help translate my notes to send home to parents (and maybe also help out with my Swahili homework….). Oh and just to explain - Carmod is the name I've been given around here and I kind of like it!
Chekechea and preprimary quickly fills a morning, and after a quick lunch made by our lovely Aggie or Maswai it’s back to Kesho Leo for tuition. I’m lucky to be surrounded by such dedicated teachers in Aggie and Lucas – talk about work ethic. It’s refreshing and makes me motivated to do more! And this coming week will see community english and mamas english classes kick off – something I’m really excited about (maybe because I can talk english!) – but mainly because I think it will be a great opportunity to meet some of the locals who want to improve their language skills, as well as have some quality bonding time with the beautiful mamas – and hopefully teach them a word or two!
So the whole education system we have running at Kesho Leo sounds like a dream hey? Well not quite – like any school some families can’t afford the fees for chekechea and preprimary. It’s disappointing but a reality no matter if you’re in Australia or Africa. Kesho Leo brought in line fees with other chekechea and pre-primary schools around the area this year – including one we have a strong relationship with – Engosengui Primary School – which also runs its own chekechea and pre-primary. As education manager it’s part of my job to enforce enrolment policies and to ensure we keep our budget in check. For some families payment of fees is just impossible – luckily this moment of helplessness only lasts a short time as fws shopping list has proved extremely successful in allowing the public to purchase pre-school scholarship places for local students. So thanks to this great initiative – and the generosity of many people (would hug you all if possible) we are able to ensure that all students receive an education that have enrolled at Kesho Leo – no matter what their financial situation. Even better, we have scholarship provisions that we can use to support students at Engosengui Primary School. It’s so exciting that Kesho Leo can continue to build such a positive and supportive relationship and I can’t wait to get more involved!
So.. now it’s the weekend and I’m feeling quite comfortable (a little worn out and tired) but very at home. I’m sure there will be challenges and difficulties in the year ahead – It’s certainly going to be hectic and I’ve got some massive shoes to fill. But it’s hard not to have an “everything is going to be awesome” feeling when you’re surrounded by friendly locals, a supportive bunch of volunteers and a relaxing vollage to come home to.

No comments: